10.26.2008

Review from Alex on The Killing Floor's "La Danza Macabra" CD.

(Thank you for the graphic work Alex. You are the best brother)


Now all of you good rockers out there know about that "Little Ol' Band From Texas"

Well forget about them fools! If you want a band with some real hair, let me introduce you to........

Just about a year ago I wrote a blog about a great little band that was on their way up the ladder entitled Good Times, Good Music (Go ahead, read it, we'll wait). They were just getting around playing out on the Texas music scene, and working towards the production of their first CD. After a few technical glitches, and some music business type BS they have finally released it. It's called "La Danza Macabra" and looks like this......





After a few glitches and delays of my own I finally got ahold of a copy, and I don't think I've taken it out of my player since. The wait was worth it, they have really put together a beauty here. Now some of you might not like "hard rock", but this is hard blister raising rock and roll topped with a scoop of ice cream. The guitar work is crisp and precise, played both with passion and fire, and the gentleness of a spring rain. The bassist lays down a perfect heartbeat to the music, working seamlessly with the percussionists to build a bedrock solid foundation to every cut on the album. The keyboards polish it all to perfection. The band is tight, making it all sound effortless, the mark of a truly great band. They show influences of Hendrix, Clapton, Dick Dale, and many others.

They do a version of Hendix's "Manic Drepression" that honors Jimi's spirit without just being a rehash. They punch the tune up, breathe new life into a classic. Something that kind of bugged me about this tune however is that the Hendrix estate charged the band $3 a copy for the rights to use the song. Now granted, it is right for them to to charge for the use of the music, but I think $3 is just a bit high.

On top of all of the good music contained within this album is something even more special. The heart and soul of this band. They truly love and appreciate their fans, and will go out of their way to ensure that they pay homage to the people that like their music. It's not just lip service when they say "We love you!", they really mean it. I recommend highly that you buy a copy of "La Danza Macabre" and get to know these great individuals. You can get this CD and band merchandise directly from their Myspace page, and it is also available in retail outlets in the San Antonio/Austin TX areas (the rest of the nation soon to come!) To go and check them out, and to hear cuts from the album, here's the link to their page...


The Killing Floor

Well that's my take on "La Danza Macabre". Buy it. Play it. Love it.



Hey Alex, the link to their page, well it works but their account has been deleted.

I will see if they have their material somewhere else on the web.

Will let ya know what i think after I've listened to them.

Posted by EurodanceAddict2 on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 4:44 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

You're just too damn fast my good man! After I posted it I checked the links and they didn't work, so I went back and re-edited with a proper ID, everythings working now.

Posted by Alex on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 4:59 PM
[Reply to this]


EurodanceAddict2

I listened to 4 tracks....good lordy lordy!!

I thought I was listening to Deep Purple when I heard the keyboards and then I thought I was revisiting Triumph when I heard the percussion.
The vocals are very Jimi Hendrix but better. and the guitar is bluesy yet rocking like Steve Vai.
So here I was getting all these influences off just a few tracks, ya cant beat that!!

These guys are GREAT!!

Good taste Alex!

Posted by EurodanceAddict2 on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 6:06 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

They do show a wide range of influences in their music. I like it because it's got that classic hard body guitar sound, the Stratocaster "twang". It's old school rock, but with a freshness. I knew a true music lover such as yourself would apprieciate this one.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:06 PM
[Reply to this]


crazypeglegg

Not bad Alix, I'll have to keep an eye out for it when it gets to my part of the country. Thanks!

Posted by crazypeglegg on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 6:54 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

It's out and about, demand it at your fave music emporium, or just a quick click on their page can put it in your hands and ears.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:08 PM
[Reply to this]


The Killer In You

Holy shit Alex, that looks beautiful!!!!! :)

The cd player in my car is broken, doesn't always allow the cd to come out and this one (even before the mixing and mastering was complete) has been gladly stuck ... I love it and am so glad you got your copy!

Ahh Stonehenge! The guys are gonna love this.

((((((((((Alex))))))))))))

ps: My fave has gotta be Mary Jayne

Posted by The Killer In You on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 8:40 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

You're so lucky to be able to see these guys play live on a regular basis.

I wanted to do something in a graphic that showed the timeless quality of the TKF's music, what a better place than Stonehenge ("....the greatest Henge of them all....")

To my taste there isn't a bad cut on the album. I like "Live" quite a bit, scratches my "axe spot". "What I Dream To Do" is boisterous, with great hooks. I'm particularly fond of "Devils Alley" because of the surf sound. And of course I love "Mary Jayne".

(((((Kelly)))))

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:20 PM
[Reply to this]


The Killer In You

(((((((Alex)))))))))))

(((((I love those brackets!)))))

Forgive me for running with the graphics for a flier, I'm just so Excited (haha pun INTENDED) and of course all credit for that goes to you...

Actually I don't get to see them on a regular basis:(

Even an hour's drive anymore has gotten to be tough with gas prices and blahblahblah.

You're the best...MUAH!

Posted by The Killer In You on August 11, 2008 - Monday 5:18 AM
[Reply to this]


Alex

OMG!!

An early morning kiss from Kelly!

Wooooooooooo-Hoooooooooo!

This is gonna be a great day.

Whatever you need or want just gimmee a blast, glad to help out, loves me some Killing Floor.

Posted by Alex on August 11, 2008 - Monday 6:05 AM
[Reply to this]


Sister Mary Elephant

I am a huge fan of this band!! Got a hold of the CD myself, and like you, just love it!!! My fav has to be maryjane too... Im not familiar with the entire band, but know JCM has a peaceful spirit, (the others must also) cause it comes out in the music

Posted by Sister Mary Elephant on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 8:53 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

That's one of the things I admire about you, you have great taste in music. JCM is an awesome guy and an excellent guitar player.

Let's Rock, Sister!

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:22 PM
[Reply to this]


sandyeggo

Dunno a rift from a raft or whatever lingo is used in rock bands but put me in a symphonic situation and I am right at home. But I do know when something I hear appeals to my ears and so like a variety of music. To be honest I was thinking what I was going to hear would be very very hard but took that chance and clicked over. I was extremely surprised and listened to each song liking everything about this group.

Their sound was to to me very retro and I thought I should be looking for my love beads and of course the need to squeeze back into my "authenitc" bell bottoms.

Very very good taste Alex

Posted by sandyeggo on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 8:51 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

I love good symphonic music too. Hell, if it's music I like it. They've got a great sound, and showcase it well.

Let's get on the bells and tie-dyes, put on our beads, commune in the park with a fat boy, and get our groove on.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:28 PM
[Reply to this]


The Killer In You

Alex may I use the Stonehenge graphics for a flier this weekend?

Posted by The Killer In You on August 11, 2008 - Monday 4:45 AM
[Reply to this]


Alex

You most certainly may.

If you'd like I could polish it up a bit more. Or anything else I can do.

Posted by Alex on August 11, 2008 - Monday 6:01 AM
[Reply to this]


THE KILLING FLOOR

Wow thank you Alex my friend!!! Now if only I can have 100,000 more fans like youself...lol

Thank you for the high compliments to everyone here. This CD brought tears of joy and sadness, happiness and terror and it did take every bit of two years to make. Every single project from here on will be measure by this one.

Alex my dear friend... I'm going to see if I can make this picture you created into a poster and hang it in my studio wall. Don't be surprise if I ask for your autograph...haha I won't forget to supply you with the latest bootlegs and rarities.

Just a quick note that CD is available nation wide at your local record stores. Not including the big heavy hitters like Wal-Mart, Target and Best Buy ect... Our distributor is Super D, if not you can link to our MySpace site.

Much love to everyone that shared the love and God bless... ~Juan Carlos (The Killing Floor)

Posted by THE KILLING FLOOR on August 2, 2008 - Saturday 11:41 PM
[Reply to this]


Alex

Glad you liked it Carlos!

Complimenting you and the guys was easy, you all work so well together to create a really innovative sound. A project of this measure was probably a great deal like giving birth. Painful and intense, but look at the beauty you got when it was all done.

The graphic is my pleasure entirely. I wanted something that showed the many levels of TKF, but in a simple visual statement. Timeless music, pioneers of a new age, the closeness of the band, a shining star for all to see, a subtle darkness and mystery.

I knew you had a deal worked out for national distribution, but wasn't completely sure of the details. TKF, nationwide Baby! Woo-Hooo!

You're gonna get those other 100,000 fans, I know it's coming.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:41 PM
[Reply to this]


StArGaZeR

A great tribute to a great band.

Sadly, I've only heard the songs on their site, but LUV every one of them. I had them cranked up while packing today and it really motivated me, and believe me people, that takes no mean feat.....lmao.

Only one problem, I can't get the CD here, so you'll have to hurry and get here soon so we can share it.

I'd like to say to JCM, that all the blood, sweat and tears, (hey.....that'd be a GREAT name for a band...hehehe), were more than worth it. You can easily tell that you love what you do. You are such an inspiration. Keep doing what you do so well. I hope your music takes you to great heights. Peace to you my friend.

As for you my darling Alex, you have great taste in music, (not to mention women...roflmmfao). Awesome job. Maybe you should be in Public relations!!! The collage you put together is really cool. JCM is right, it would make a great poster.

Posted by StArGaZeR on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 2:45 AM
[Reply to this]


Alex

Thanks baby, I apprieciate all your love and support.

I won't be doing any relations with the public, only my gorgeous wife.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:45 PM
[Reply to this]


Laurie

Hi Alex,
Thanks for introducing us to this band. I love the tracks they have on their page. Like Eggo said.. they have that 'old school' sound which is very cool. My son Adam will love this music and I'll be sure to send him the link.
Best wishes to the "The Killing Floor" and congrats on the CD.
Laurie

Posted by Laurie on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 6:46 AM
[Reply to this]


Alex

Thanks Laurie! Would I steer ya wrong?

Spread it around, the world needs more good music.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:46 PM
[Reply to this]


The Walking Scandal

Ahhhh . . . dear Alex. Introducing me to several men at once. Men who know how to handle an instrument, no less.

I think a trip wherein The Scandal and Alex do the groupie thing is in order. Or, the Scandal does the groupie thing and Alex watches.

Tell your friends to look out. They are about to be Scandal-ized.

Posted by The Walking Scandal on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 7:17 AM
[Reply to this]


Alex

I know how to handle an instrument too. It just doesn't make great music though. Does make women sing however.

Hell yeah, Road Trip! You do the groupie thing, Kelly and I will film it. Every great rock band needs a sex tape.

Nobody is EVER the same, once they've been Scandalized.

Posted by Alex on August 3, 2008 - Sunday 12:51 PM
[Reply to this]


Fire Dog

Really really good band. I am gonna order the CD just based on what the guys have on myspace. Really tight band, great "ear-gasm"! No f'n shit!

They do a damn good jam on Voodoo Child, too.

Posted by Fire Dog on August 6, 2008 - Wednesday 10:11 AM
[Reply to this]


Alex

The stuff on Myspace is older cuts, pre-album release. The technical work on the album is awesome. Things are cleaned up, got a tight and fluid sound, very sharp.

They DO rock the ass offa "Voodoo Child".

Posted by Alex on August 6, 2008 - Wednesday 12:26 PM
[Reply to this]



No comments: