10.27.2005

Your Guitar Tone... What makes it??

(SRV on of my top five best guitarist that ever lived)

Gear is 50% of yoursound/ tone/timbre... If I played through a Marshall with humbuckers, Floyd Rose bridge, 09-42 gauge strings, boss pedals... I would not sound anything like what you would describe as my tone...I would sound different. I went through sooo many amps, pedals, guitars, pickups, string gauge and even as to what kind of speakers and it makes a big big world of difference... But it takes time and an idea on what kind of tone, sound and timbre your are search for and have in your head....That can be soo complicated and it take years to search...

EVH would sound so different if he plug his dis-pedal going through a Crate transistor amp... Yes Eddie would sound like Eddie but he would have limitations of what he use too and his mindset of his ideal tone... Pinch harmonics would not come out as clear, the growl would be different, the thump and the snap would resonate different, and also the warmth would be different of what he would be used to using...

I've had this similar discussion with my boss from Yamaha... He's a keyboard player and he thinks the presets of what a distortion guitar sounds on his keyboard is the same as all... Which is not true...

Dime Bag, Steve Vai, Ty Tabor, EHV and many others... Do have there own signature tone through there fingers but if you listen to there distortion/clean/timbre/sounds/characteristics there worlds apart different... JCM

No comments: